Monday, September 10, 2012

Horse Latitudes

This is my response to reading the short poem Horse Latitudes by Kathleen Flenniken from the collection of Pushcart Prizes.

The speaker or narrator is isn't identified, but they speak with a very direct tone - very scientific - but at the same time very touching.

The occasion for this piece is very obvious. The scene described is an actual floating island of trash in the Pacific called the Great Pacific Garbage Patch. All the garbage that ends up in the ocean ends up there due to currents and wind patterns. And then it stays there because of the same currents. All the garbage eventually breaks down because of the salt water and corrosive chemicals, but not only does it take a very long time, they break down into tiny particles that end up being eaten by fish, and then by larger predators like whales, dolphins, and us. And its all due to us.

The poem makes it clear that its a problem, and a problem that we created. Even if we deny blame, or say its not an issue, deep down we all know its true. The imagery the author invokes flows smoothly and lets our imagination really take over. Even if we can't see it, our mind lets us know its there.

A floating patch of garbage isn't the usual topic of a poem, but it is useful and in a way beautiful. But its beautiful like an oil spill is beautiful: it may look pretty, but its obviously very bad.

I liked this poem, and not just because the great big floating patch of trash is something that I'm aware of and rather interested in. I genuinely liked it for the words and imagery, and that usually doesn't happen with me and poetry. Also, the only thing I didn't get was the title.

3 comments:

  1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse_latitudes



    ReplyDelete
  2. I did the same sort of research as you did, but wonder what you thought about the poem itself versus the information. For me, I was taken aback by how she individually included the reader into the piece, making us think about something we were sincerely passionate about, or something that hurt us in a way that nothing else had. I think that she speaks to that hurt as her own feeling for this great expanse of garbage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your use of research really helped your post. I was unaware of the actual floating garbage and that helps me understand the poem more. You did a good job at finding the meaning behind the words.

    ReplyDelete