Monday, October 8, 2012

Toast

Our Daily Toast, written by Brenda Miller, is a piece written by an older writer about her love of toast, but it easily could have been written by myself. Once again, I read this piece before it was assigned, because I was intrigued about the title and hesitantly hopeful that it actually was about toast, unlike some other deceptively titled works I've read (Horse Latitudes, I'm looking at you). And it was, and I was delighted, because I adore toast as much as the author. If I could get away with only eating toast I would; its literally the only food I cannot live without. I could really connect to the writer, because she completely and perfectly described how simply wonderful it is to eat toast. Its a sacred ritual for both of us - the choosing of bread, the waiting for it to brown, topping it with jam or just plain butter, and finally eating it. I don't have a dog to share toast with - and I'm not sure I'd want to share my toast anyway - but I do have parents and a sibling who always complained about the toast crumbs in the butter. And sometimes toast does lead to epiphanies, because it takes a while for bread to brown - especially for me, I like it dark - and there's a lot of time to stand around. The author writes in a very soothing manner, and that to me is exactly what toast is about. I can't really read too much into the writing because it really just clicked with me. And now, I'm going to finish typing, and go make some toast.

No comments:

Post a Comment